Thursday, August 13, 2009

I wish I knew how to quit you, Griffey.

First, I’d like to start off with something known in the biz as an “attention grabber.” Though irrelevant to the rest of the post, it’s something that readers should enjoy.

Quick note to start: As I'm writing this (Wednesday), Griffey is currently stepping in as a pinch hitter with two on and two out in the bottom of the 14th. There is no score. I’m not sure how many of you are awake now at 2 AM eastern, but luckily it’s only 11 here so I get to watch. Ball one. Strike one. Strike two. Pumping fastballs. Ooh just gets a piece of the slider to stay alive, 1-2. Next pitch lined down the right field line…fair ball! Mariners win! A walk off by Junior! Doesn’t get much better than that. Hit up the rest after the jump.

Since I have been called out to write a front page post (please note that I have made comments on other writers’ entries), I'm feeling a bit of pressure. I need to stick with a safe subject, and yes, that subject will be Ken Griffey, Jr. It does feel a bit like when you’re at a party and somebody says “oh my God, so-and-so does the BEST impression of Bill Walton. So-and-so, do it!” Well now you can either do it (looking like a full-blown fego) or you can say something like “I can’t do it on command” and disappoint everybody. Great. Anyway, this isn’t that bad.

I was only three when the Kid broke onto the scene. I’m a righty, but I still took time in my backyard to perfect his lefty stance, his swing, his hop step and his strut (I have since switched to perfecting this). Why else did half the kids at school start wearing their hats backwards? The only reason there wasn't a "Like Griffey" campaign was because "Like Mike" rolled off the tongue better.

When Junior left Seattle in 2000, he was well on his way to challenging all kinds of records, not that he cared. Griffey was all about having a flair for the dramatic. Sure, he had made 10 straight All-Star appearances, won 10 straight Gold Gloves, won seven Silver Sluggers, won three home run derbys, and added an MVP. All before turning 31. Are you serious? Above this, though:

1. His rookie year in '89, 13 of his 16 home runs were to tie the game or give the M's the lead (he would've won the ROY had he not broken his finger in July).

2. Home runs in eight straight games (absolute SHOT).

3. Amazing catches (ouch).

4. Back-to-back with Pops.

5. Um, at the bottom of the greatest moment in Mariner history.

How about just this year? The guy's hitting .226, but he homered in his first game, had a base hit in his first home at bat (homered the next game), hit a pinch-hit game-tying home run, homered on his bobblehead night (before the game when asked if he was going to do something special, he answered "yeah, probably") and had the pinch-hit walk off single on Wednesday. Okay, okay, too many highlights. I'm just sayin', if the Mariners find a way to sneak into the playoffs (5.5 games out currently), look out.

Outside of baseball, Junior's got unbelievably sweet kicks, a Wheaties box, a candy bar, two of the greatest video games ever (for SNES and N64), a JAM, and, as Ernest mentioned, some stellar cameos. Last Naked pointed out in a previous post that Griffey's Mariner commercials were some of the greatest (though my favorite still features Booney).

Lastly, to quickly cover a couple questions that have been brought up: first, Griffey never juiced. Second, yes, he is going to get 100% of the votes when he is eligible for the Hall of Fame. I'm trying to picture the person that wouldn't vote for him and I can't do it. But then again, I'm a bit biased. Being a clean player during the era of enhancement will certainly help.

Would he have been the best player of all time had he never left Seattle? Something tells me he would have. But that's okay. The sign in center field said it best when the he returned to Seattle with the Reds in 2007: "I wish I knew how to quit you, Griffey."

Since I led with something unrelated, I'll make it bookends. Thanks to a friend of the blog for the link. The video below features the studio recording for Buzz Bullets phenom Masahiro Matsuno's Callahan highlight tape. Enjoy.


2 comments:

  1. Wow. Hard to say what my favorite part of this is, so let's just break it down piece by piece:

    1. Love the title of the video: "Big guy stone colds two beers!" Insta-classic.

    2. The Griffey highlights are all phenomenal, and I don't blame you for including so many. I could spend all day watching vintage Junior. People forget that he was THE player of the '90s, bar none. Griffey was Pujols before there was a Pujols, and he did with panache.

    3. "Like Mike" is one of the best commercials and commercial jingles of all-time. The perfect blend of early 90s fegotism and Jordan cool. I'm going across the street for a Gatorade once I finish this comment.

    4. My favorite thing about the second catch video (and, btw, those are two of the all-time Web Gems): watching Randy Johnson's reaction when he realizes Junior is hurt. The Big Unit just crumbles to the turf and lies prone on the ground, devastated. If nothing else, THAT should prove what a great player Griffey was. Can you imagine Randy Johnson prostrating himself for anyone else?

    5. I'm not a Mariners fan. But that series with the Yankees was one of the best and most memorable moments of my sports childhood. Easily the best LDS in baseball history, and there have been some great ones since (NYY vs OAK , BOS vs OAK '03). I'll never forget that series or Griffey's slide.

    Underrated moment of that series--Game 5, bottom of the 8th: Mariners pull within one run after Junior (who else?) hits a HR. David Cone finally begins to tire with two outs, loading the bases on a single and two walks. Torre goes out to the mound and ALMOST brings in Mariano Rivera, but he wants to save him for the 9th, so Cone stays in. Fortunately for New York, Doug Strange--one of the M's worst hitters--is brought on to PH for Dan Wilson. My dad and I, watching the game, despair, because Strange is 0 fer the series. Cone, clearly running on fumes, walks the M's worst hitter, bringing in the tying run from third. Three innings later, the Mariners win it.

    You made good, Oden, but this only increases expectations. Maybe you can surpass your namesake and live up to the hype.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there's a camel up a hill then it's asbestos flaygon you too you tooOOooOOOoo

    ReplyDelete