Sunday, August 2, 2009

Freaks: THPS Addendum

Yeah, so I got so jazzed up about Vick and the kid who stuck the Dish Network Controller in his ass that I forgot to rep the x-games. I don't know much about skateboarding, but I do know that Bob Burnquist's run at the 2001 Summer X-Games was the defining moment of my adolescence. More formative than Jennifer Lopez's "Love Don't Cost a Thing" video and Muhammad Ali's Sportscentury combined (OK, not really on the Ali front).

You just kinda have to see it to understand the hubbub. As Mr. Chi City Mayne would say, jigga's got tricks on tricks, many of which were so unheard of they hadn't been named yet. They beauty of this run is that even a lay person can appreciate how out of this world it is. IncreĆ­ble

2 comments:

  1. That's a sick vid, but I have to admit, my preferred skaters were Kareem Campbell (the token black guy), and Chad Muska, because he wore a backpack.

    What was so bulky and important that he needed to have it with him at all times, at the expense of his balance? I never knew. (Now I know: two 40 oz of Olde English).

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We were both at an awards dinner from the boxing writer's association. He took a glass and a felt tip pen and he traced around the glass so he had a circle then he drew in continents. Then he he nudged me and pointed at it and said, 'I used to be champion of all of that.' And then in the middle of everyone else's speeches he fell asleep."

    DON'T GIVE UP

    ReplyDelete